Does buying new carpet stress you out? Believe us, you aren’t alone.
Many people have some difficulty finding the best carpet for their home. But what if we told you that we can make finding the perfect carpet as easy as tieing your shoe?
How to Find the Right Carpet
Many people agree that finding carpeting can be confusing. They put it perfectly by saying, “Finding the best carpet for your home starts out simple and quickly becomes complicated.”
So how do you find the perfect carpet for your home? You learn the basics.
Know your Fiber Types
Since carpeting is made from multiple fibers and materials, you have to determine a few things:
- Where is the carpeting being installed?
- How much traffic does the room receive?
- Do kids or pets have access to the room?
The amount of life your carpet will have depends on how you answer these key questions. Those answers will help you figure out which fiber you will need for your situation.
More than ninety percent of the carpet made today is crafted from synthetic fibers such as nylon, triexta, polypropylene, or polyester. Depending on the fiber type you select will affect the performance of your carpet.
Typically, the number of twists the fibers undergo, the stronger the carpeting will be. Keep in mind that a longer pile height is more likely to crush or mat.
Many carpet companies will suggest a nylon or polyester carpet for high traffic areas. Just be sure to consult your carpet dealer for what fibers they recommend as well.
Selecting a Carpet Type
The first thing you need to know is carpet pile types. The two main piles you’ll come across are cut pile and loop pile.
Cut pile carpets and mostly found in active areas including living rooms and bedrooms. Vacuum marks and footprints are hidden well depending on the fiber twist rate.
Loop Pile carpets tend to be more durable than your average cut pile carpeting. They can be made of leveled or multi-leveled loops and form interesting patterns and designs.
If you’re looking for a durable carpet for a high traffic area, our recommendations are two styles that we specialize in; Frieze and Looped.
Frieze is a great selection for any casual and informal room. It comes in multiple colors and will hide vacuum marks and footprints easily. The flair that frieze offers cannot be beaten by any other carpet style.
Looped carpeting, as stated above, can offer a lot of interesting designs and styles. This is appealing to many homeowners that enjoy high performance and lower carpet density. It also provides an intriguing feel underfoot which many people enjoy.
There are other carpet styles you can explore if a looped or frieze carpet is not something you’re interested in.
Which Room are you Working with?
Certain rooms in the house may have different requirements for the flooring you choose.
For example, a living room will experience much more foot traffic than a master bedroom. The living room would have a higher need for a durable carpet type than a bedroom might.
Here are some extra pointers on selecting carpet for a specific room:
- Bedrooms – If you’re looking at an adult bedroom, you may like a velvet-like plush carpet. For a child’s room, you’re going to need something much more durable. We all know how hard kids can be on their stuff. For a cheaper alternative, try a silky polyester carpet.
- Living Rooms – The carpet type for this room can vary depending on how busy your home is. You want to stay true to your personal taste and style while finding something durable and strong. Explore the variations of friezes, berbers, and other cut and loop patterns.
- Dining Rooms – Look for a carpet that can stand against stains and spills for this room. We recommend using a P.E.T polyester carpet or a stain-resistant nylon carpet. You can also ask your carpet dealer about treatments to protect against spills.
- Stairs/Hallways – Most manufacturers suggest using resilient fibers for stairs and hallways. These areas experience much the most traffic in the house, so a nylon berber will work well.
NOTE: Be careful with looped pile carpeting if you have pets. Their nails can snag in the loops resulting in damage to your pet and the carpet as well.
Find Flooring Easily with The Carpet Guys
We don’t want you pulling your hair out when looking for new carpeting. It shouldn’t be that way.
By booking a free carpet estimate with us, you’ll find the best carpeting for you in the easiest way possible. Our design consultants will walk you through every step so you know exactly what you’re investing in.
If you’re ready to get new flooring in your home, get it done the right way with The Carpet Guys today!