The battle between nylon vs polyester carpet fiber has been going on for years, but there has never been a true, definitive answer.
We agree with Star Lumber when they say, “Neither is a concrete “best” option because it truly does depend on what you’re buying the carpet for in the first place.” That doesn’t mean that they don’t have their own benefits and drawbacks, though.
Let’s break it down.
What is Polyester Fiber?
Polyester started off with a bad name in the 1970’s. Back then, it was viewed as a cheap material that was likely to wear out fast. Today, technological improvements have turned this “cheaply-made” product into a durable and long lasting carpet choice.
Polyester has come a long way and is now made to hold its own against some tough lifestyles. It offers many different benefits that homeowners favor including:
- Fade Resistance – Some carpet will experience color fading when it’s installed in direct sunlight. Polyester resists fading and maintains it’s color well.
- Affordability – Polyester fiber is a great choice for people on a tight budget. You can expect to spend less money on polyester than your other fiber types.
- Variety – There are many different colors and styles of polyester carpet to choose from, allowing it to fit well in any room.
- Stain Resistance – Polyester fiber is naturally stain resistant, making it the perfect choice for a home with young children and pets.
A more noteworthy benefit of polyester fiber is that most of it is made out of recycled plastic bottles and still maintains a soft feel. It is a recyclable and eco-friendly flooring product, something that many people are starting to embrace. Take a look at the video below to see how polyester is formed:
Crazy, huh? The shirt you’re wearing or the carpet you’re standing on could be made from plastic bottles.
Polyester carpet has quadrupled in sales in the past ten years, so rest assured that you’re getting high-quality flooring at a great price.
What is Nylon Fiber?
Nylon fiber is one of the common fibers you’ll see in homes (although polyester has taken over). It has a great lifespan and will work well in a busy home that experiences a lot of foot traffic. This means that the fibers will bounce back after being stepped on.
Since nylon is one of the strongest synthetic fibers on the market, it does come at a higher price. When you think about it, however, the price per square foot you’ll pay for the carpet you get is worth it.
Nylon fiber also has multiple benefits that many people enjoy including:
- Strength – Nylon has great yarn memory, allowing it to retain its look and feel in high-traffic areas. Even heavy furniture won’t crush it right away.
- Durability – The lifespan of nylon fiber is long-lasting and can withstand over ten years of abuse easily (with the right maintenance and care, of course).
- Easy Cleaning – Nylon carpets are quite easy to clean and resist static and mold build-up.
- Allergy Aiding – According to How Stuff Works, nylon carpeting will be the best bet for your family members that have allergies and asthma.
In an interview between Matthew Spieler of Floor Covering News and Seth Arnold, a brand director for Mohawk Flooring, Arnold states that “Nylon will, over time, perform better…to keep your carpet looking newer, longer.”
In the battle between polyester vs nylon carpet, many great points are made for both sides. But what fiber type takes the cake?
And the Winner is…
At the end of the day, it all depends on what you’re looking for. One carpeting may outperform the other depending on what your home requires. It is a little difficult to give a solid answer with so many variables.
Both carpet fibers are fantastic and may make a great fit for your home. The best way to find out is to schedule a free carpet estimate with a local flooring dealer.
This way, you’ll be able to find your personal winner in the “nylon versus polyester carpet” contest.
If a new carpet installation has been on your to-do list, but you don’t know where to start, we have you covered.
Booking a free in-home estimate with The Carpet Guys will get you in front of the top flooring pros in Metro Detroit. We understand that buying new flooring can be somewhat difficult, but you can rely on us to get your job done right.
Not sure what carpet to choose? Don’t worry about it! We will walk you through the entire process and find the perfect carpeting for your home.
Give us a call so we can get started on making your home better from the floors up.